Nothing like 1970's Laminate!

About a month ago one of my relatives was over & she offered to give me a credenza that she had. I would like to think it's because she saw how badly that I needed storage space but I don't think that was the case. I think her real reason was because she was moving out of state & didn't know what to do with her lovely piece of furniture. It was the kind that was so popular in the 70's. It has genuine fake burl wood laminate & big clunky door knocker type pulls. I'm sure you guys are familiar with this style. Back when I was little I remember my neighbor had a lot of this heavy,chunky overly-ornate furniture. I thought it was so groovy & cool then.....something I could picture in the back ground of a Charlie's Angels episode.....I can see it now- Farrah leaning against it while she flashed her pearly whites & shook out her huge mane of hair. Ok, whatever- I was little & they were my idols! Back to the cabinet- here's the before picture. As you can see from the photo I was in such a hurry to paint over the beauty that I had already taken off the clunky hardware & just started painting the corner when I had to stop to take a picture. Luckily, I remembered...don't want to be a bad blogger!
Here it is afterwards. I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White. I then went over it with the clear wax & the dark wax. I finished it off with some new knobs from Target. Now I have the much needed store space & it doesn't look like it belongs in The Charles Townsend Detective Agency office anymore.

Comments

  1. It turned out gorgeous~ I love the way that old white chalk paint looks~ Would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the greyish-weathered look of it!
    -Revi from www.revisionarylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way this turned out with that lovely aged look you get with ASCP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, love the way this turned out...lovely, aged, soft grayish white.
    Wow!
    ~Pam
    pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love this! Absolutely beautiful! Found you via My Romantic Home. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/voice-studio.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. mercy, what a change. It looks gorgeous now. Don't you just love gifts like that. I found you through Show and Tell Friday and will join your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it...good by 70's! Amazing how that ASCP can transform just about anything. Thanks so much for sharing. I went to follow but your option is not on the page now, must be a blogger issue. Thanks for joining my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! This would fit just about anywhere. Stopping by via Debbiedoo's linky party! Hope you have time to stop by my blog and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out so pretty. I love 70's furniture.
    http://shabbytochicqueencreek.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for linking - I just featured you on my Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so light and fresh! Not heavy or overly 70's at all! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the change! I was a Charlies Angel wannabe when I was little. Thanks for the memories. Thank you for linking up to my Monday Linky Party! Hope to see you next Monday. Love, Me www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO much better! the paint and hardware take the 70's right out of that piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can't even tell it's laminate! Very gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie, what an unusual and interesting piece. You did a fabulous job putting a new and updated finish on it! So glad I came over for a visit from Debbie's Newbie party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw your post over at Wow us Wednesday and wanted to take a peek! This piece looks amazing! You did an excellent job. Love the color! I am a newbie to blogging and your newest follower. I hope you will follow back! Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This turned out beautiful. The very first piece I ever did was a laminate piece from the seventies.... and it's still one of my favorites :) Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving any comments! I do appreciate them but please be nice :)

Popular Posts