Creative Brain Freeze...Or Just Plain Lazy?

Recently a few of you have emailed me asking where I've been or what I have been up to. Hubby was on a business trip, leaving me to "hold the fort down" for awhile. With four kids, & the fact that I just started working (part time) again, it has been kinda crazy. As a result I have had little time or energy to do anything. Happily now the hubs is back & hopefully life will be back to the normal, manageable level of insanity. 

I've been trying to decide what I want to tackle next & there's definitely no shortage of ideas or projects that I want to do. The problem is getting motivated to start. It's like my brain is stuck on freeze. Maybe it's because it's so cold & dreary here now....maybe it's because I'm lazy. So in an effort to try to get my butt moving I'm going to show you guys two major projects that I need to get going on.

The first is the master bedroom & master bath. I don't have pictures yet of the bedroom, but take my word for it, it's a mess. There's still boxes of stuff from when we moved into this house last April that I haven't cleared out. It looks like a bomb went of in the room. I know that if I get it painted that I will be motivated to get it somewhat presentable. I do have a few pictures of the master bath though. 
The bathroom is green with your basic builders cabinetry....maple with a white marble counter top. Not bad, but just borrring! As for lighting above the sink...ugly hollywood style strip lights. We took those down right away & I put them on the curb. Of course no one took them, so in the trash they went. The faucets are bad though.....one of them is even broken. We bought new faucets & with the help of my father-in-law we have replaced them. The shower & the tub will need a plumber....there's soldering involved. We did manage to replace the handle in the shower, which I am happy with because the old one was upside down. As for the cabinets....you guys can probably guess.....I'm going to use chalk paint (surprise). I will post pictures of the sink area as soon as I finish....

boring..also not digging the brass hardware....

close up of the lovely faucets...(yuck)
Another lovely touch that this bathroom has is an ugly boob light. At least that's what I call it. The bathroom has really high, dramatic ceilings so I'm thinking that a little bling will be in order.
the boob light

The other project is the BIG one.....the kitchen. I wish I took a picture to show you guys...the kitchen was a coral/orange/red color. It was bad, very bad. The color kinda just clashed with everything, so they got painted asap. The walls are now a taupe/light grey color that I love! When we moved in I was happy to see stainless appliances & wood floors (that need refinishing, badly). The cabinets are all maple & have great moulding across the top. They aren't bad looking, but I want to lighten up the room so they're going to get painted. The island will also get a makeover too. I'm going to try to disguise it & make it look like a piece of furniture or something more custom looking. All hardware is also getting changed, along with the stupid leaky faucet that I have already broken once. Father-in-law to the rescue on that too :). If you look we have a beautiful white sink, which is stained & looking pretty bad too.....that's going too.
In my world this IS clean lol :)
The counter tops are all laminate, a kinda white with tiny grey speckles. Not sure what they were going for here, but they don't look like stone or anything. What I really want is soapstone & some calcutta marble <3......not sure if the budget can swing it...maybe the marble on the island if we get lucky enough to hunt down a scrap that would work. I have a couple of ideas for the main countertops, different projects bouncing around in my head. I just have to decide which way I'm going to go....

the island with the protruding knobs that always get caught on my clothing

view from family room, ....I think I'm going to eat that banana now...

one of my favorite parts.. (imagine sarcastic tone) so lovely the way the fake maple veneer has bleached to a beautiful shade of yellow
I'm hoping that by posting these pictures you guys will nag at me to get off my butt & get started.......
As of right now I'm thinking that my chocolate lab, Emma has the right idea....just being lazy. :)  
Emma- my big brown lump <3
Wish me luck guys...I have some big projects ahead of me!

Comments

  1. Watching with baited breath, Katie- YOU know that!!! Photograph the heck out of each process for us too!

    Can hardly wait!!

    Careful, don't let the island nobs snag ya!
    Your Fan,
    Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to step over a dog every time? My furry best friend likes sleeping in main walkways in the house. Good luck on your upgrading plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kitchen is so similar to that!! It's almost scary! Same exact layout, open to my family room and dining area.... not loving my cabinet color either (or countertops) but in petrified of painting them. I did in my last house and it was the project I thought would never end! Plus, even with sanding and priming they still chipped and looked awful. I'll be waiting to see what you decide...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...I love the big brown lump!! We have the same boob lights here but we call them the "nip" lights :) I have an ugly upstairs kid bathroom that needs help, but it is the KID's bathroom and they are dirty so it is hard to make it look nice when I know it will be kept looking like a homeless shelter!! Keep us posted. I really want to find a way to redo a bathroom counter without taking it off. Some kind of tile??

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha... Someone at one time must have thought those boob lights were the "in" thing. We've recently looked at several homes that are on the market to sell and almost all of them have that same light fixture in common.

    Saw your link over at Home Savvy A to Z thought I'd stop on over and say hello and become your newest follower. Hope you'll do the same.
    Creative Expressions by Brandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving any comments! I do appreciate them but please be nice :)

Popular Posts