My Un-Wanted Entry....The Blue Cabinet

So it's Monday morning & I've had my cup of coffee & I'm awake :). Time to show you guys my cabinet that never made it to the final round of competition..... As I mentioned earlier, this was a curb side find. My hubby & I had just had a discussion about how I need to stop filling our garage up with furniture to paint. I explained to him that I would try to control myself & not bring home any more when, whatya know, his parents call me & tell me that their neighbor is throwing out two cabinets. They emailed me photos & I immediately said "yes, I want them"...(sorry hubby). I did show a little restraint, I only took one of them.
It wasn't in too bad of shape, just some veneer peeling off so I found a place for it in my garage. I knew right away what I wanted to do with this cabinet so it wasn't in my garage too long. First I painted it with chalk paint, using the shade Napoleonic Blue. I decided that I really like this color, & that I need to use it more often.

just getting started

After painting it blue I used some stencils that I had on the inset part of the doors. I actually hate using stencils...I always smear the images & splatter paint everywhere. As a result I always end up going back & painting over a bunch of the images, in this case the flowers. I just went & hand painted  a few of them & then touched up the rest that I could save.
after all the stencils were done & yes, I paint in my front hallway :)

stupid smudges








It's probably just me, but I'm not a big fan of stencils..... After fixing the flowers I then used a layer of clear wax, followed by a little bit of the dark wax in some spots. I also used a little bit of rub-n-buff on the hardware too. Then my favorite part.....distressing it. I have long come to the conclusion that I do not like "perfect" things. I like stuff that looks like it has stood the test of time & that has been "loved".

What's really funny is that my hubby doesn't want me to get rid of this one, but I will be selling it.....after all I have to make room for more :)
before & after


Making
Sumo's Sweet Stuff



Becolorful
Todays Creative BlogDomesticallySpeaking

Beyond The Picket Fence
NightOwlCrafting
Furniture Feature Fridays Redoux

Comments

  1. Katie, I love it! Are you sure you have to sell it? You did a great job :) ~Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Katie, I think that final entry would have knocked their socks off! I'll watch the competition until the end to see what the final entry looks like. I'm pretty sure this would win though- it's smashing!

    Your Fan,
    Suzanne (Follower)
    in NW IL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe someone would chuck that cabinet out. Anyway, I love it - the colour, the stencilling, the distressing and those handles are great. It is a shame you're not still in the competition !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spotting you at a party now, and still "crushin'" on it!

    Visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tue Party 98 at Linda's Coastal Charm,
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Wow! Incredible makeover... Can't believe tht the flowers are handpainted ... It has turned out to be perfect !! Love the colors you have chosen for the cabinet and the flowers.. Lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  6. When all was said and done, your piece looks fantastic. I LOVE stencils. The best way I have found to use them is to get a small sponge roller...it appears you may have been using too must paint..it is suppose to be dabbed out before dabbing. With the roller and a paper plate, it does the trick and releases that excess you get otherwise. LOVE the color too! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl! Haven't heard from you in a few days, you much be a busy-bee! Just wanted to stop by and say hello! Still loving that piece and if I was closer to you I might just be tempted to buy it!
    ~Tami

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precioso!!!He descubierto tu blog y me ha encantado. Desde hoy lo sigo, si lo deseas te invito a conocer mi blog y si es de tu agrado, me gustaría tenerte como seguidora en mi blog para seguir en contacto. Un saludo muy cordial.
    Manoli.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unwanted no more--I love it. The stenciling is great--I thought it was fabric or scrapbook paper. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cabinet, the blue is just fantastic ,loving the different stencil shades

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so stinking cute! I love the table design, and it looks wonderful in its new makeover! I'm featuring it later tonight!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cabinet is gorgeous! I love the stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is such a sweet piece. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katie, I love this piece. Would have it in my house in a heartbeat. The secret to stenciling is a very, very, dry brush. I don't mean to sound like a know it all but that is what I have learned from experience. Dry brush, bristles not sponge, and do circles, don't pounce. Kathy, Petticoat Junktion

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so great - I love how the stencils turned out - I am currently on a stencil kick - I'll have to find me an old cabinet to spruce up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore your cabinet! It is just adorable! Now I will be out shopping for a similar piece to redo...also pleasing my husband :o)
    I would love to know where your stencils are from - they are just so sweet!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply Beautiful!! I love the way this turned out! I am hoping you are willing to share at our party going on now-Monday. Thanks

    http://kadie-sevenalive.blogspot.com/2012/01/link-it-up-thursday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great re-do! The colors are awesome! Such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am diggin' that great piece. U my blog friend are very talented. I am your newest follower. Come on over to my blog palace and enter the 300 Follower Giveaway~ Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it, nice to see someone use Napoleonic Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome! I featured you today:)
    http://too-much-time.com/2012/01/good-morning-sunshine-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I'd have a hard time selling that one too! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that looks amazing! i love the colors and the whimsical stencils!

    ReplyDelete
  24. nope, i can't handle the stencil, either. to smudgy.

    this piece is gorgeous, though! love the color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That piece is unwanted no more! Love it. So original ...

    ... would you like to share at our multi-blog "Imagine the Impossibilities" link party? I think everyone would really enjoy it as much as I ...

    Here's the link: http://www.itallstartedwithpaint.com/2012/01/imagine-impossibilities-2012-link-party.html

    We stay live until Friday midnight (CST). Hope to see you at the party!

    Linda
    itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the re-do! That blue is so pretty! Thanks for linking up to our "impossibles" party!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just darling....love the blue and the flowers on the doors.
    Visiting from Primitive & Proper.
    Cathy@ Room Rx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, this piece is gorgeous, Katie. I love the 'distressed' flowers with the distressed cabinet & the blue colour is perfect.
    dawnedesign.net

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful! I love the color and the flower detail!

    Thanks so much for linking up to the challenge!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just saw this on Pinterest - LOVE it! I generally hate stencils too, but I love this one. Did you make it or purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
  31. holy shite that's a great makeover! the color is so cooool. i am not even a blue girl and i was like ohhhhhhhh THAT blue... yes.
    girl you worked long and hard on your blog! so glad you found me. looking forward to being friends!
    x+o

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much Tracie!! I'm looking forward to following you and seeing what other great stuff you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving any comments! I do appreciate them but please be nice :)

Popular Posts